When you stop and think about coconut oil, what comes to mind? Is it the health-conscious individuals who seem to be associated with this product, or is it the extensive range of beauty benefits of this wonder oil? Why can’t it be both. Coconut oil can be valuable in recipes and cooking, and these same properties make coconut oil so beneficial for the hair and skin.
Think of coconut oil as the quiet achiever in the superfood world. There are so many interesting health benefits and uses of using coconut oil in your daily life routine, not only for your physical health but also for inner health. For example, consuming coconut oil has been shown to increase the absorption of calcium, magnesium and improve thyroid function and insulin levels.
Need a solution to cellulite? Mix coconut oil with grapefruit essential oil and massage in a firm, circular motion to stimulate circulation. It can also help to speed up weight loss, and even help fight the signs of premature aging on the skin.
Coconut oil is one of the most versatile health foods on the planet, so here are some tips to help utilise the amazing qualities of this this oil in terms of beauty.
Top 8 Coconut Oil Beauty Benefits and Uses
1. Take a cotton pad with some coconut oil and you have yourself a quick, easy and natural eye makeup remover.
2. Need a quick body scrub? Mix coconut oil with equal parts sugar for a smoothing body scrub. For best results, use in the shower.
3. Coconut oil can be used on the skin as a basic lotion. Rub into your elbows and knees daily to help alleviate dry and flakiness.
4. No tanning oils? No worries. Coconut oil is your go-to. Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen and sunburn remedy all in one. It’s very low on the SPF scale being SPF 4, however the properties in coconut oil can assist in aiding against sun damage. Sunburnt? Rub coconut oil into affected areas and it will promote healing and soothe pain.
5. Rub on to cuticles to moisturise the area and assist in strengthening and nail growth.
6. If your struggling to maintain your frizz, rub a tiny amount into the palms of your hands, then through your hair to create a natural, incredible anti-frizz treatment.
7. Dry or itchy scalp? Apply coconut oil to the head and massage thoroughly for a natural hair treatment fix. Sleep with this treatment and just rinse out in the morning. Your scalp will thank you later.
8. Help lock in moisture after your shower and apply coconut oil to your body. It will hydrate dry skin and help soothe skin after shaving.
We hope that after reading this, when it’s time to pick up your next jar of coconut oil, you’ll have a different outlook on this powerhouse superfood. Coconut oil can be a staple product in your home as it’s so affordable! Hot tip: Look for Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil as this particular type has been found to have the highest antioxidant levels. Your skin, hair and body will thank you later.
By Mikayla Tabone.